We strongly encourage you to write your sponsored child. Your letters will establish you as a very important person in their life. Very often, children will keep every letter from their sponsors in a treasured place and use them as a reminder that someone very special cares about them enough to invest in them through time, prayer, and resources.
What to tell them about yourself:
• Describe your family . . . children also love to receive pictures of their sponsor’s families
• Discuss your favorite pastimes – talk about your hobbies or sports you enjoy
• Include a description of your work, church, or school
• Explain customs or special holidays
• Give a general description of the area where you live (But no specific addresses, please)
What to avoid:
• Elaborating on material possessions (the size of your home or kind of car you drive)
• Suggesting that your sponsored child visit the United States
• Using slang or colloquialisms that would be difficult to translate or understand
• Asking what your sponsored child would like as a gift from you
• Do not include your return address in your letter. Your child will respond to World Help’s office directly.
Questions to ask your child:
Start with general questions: likes, dislikes, favorite foods, animals, sports, subjects in school, descriptions of friends or family members, etc.
Learning about your child’s country will also be very helpful as you communicate. Take this opportunity to learn about your child’s culture, customs, and people. This also can be a fun family/group project!
Simple Steps To Write A Letter
Here are a few easy steps you can take to be certain your letter reaches the hands of your sponsored child as quickly and efficiently as possible.
1. Write your sponsored child’s name and ID number at the top of your letter (this information is located on the child biography page you received in your new sponsor kit).
2. Address your envelope using your sponsored child’s name and ID number in care of World Help Child Sponsorship Program:
[Sponsored Child’s name and ID #]
c/o World Help Child Sponsorship Program
P.O. Box 501
Forest, VA 24551
3. Lastly, please include your donor account number, if possible, with your return address on the outside of your envelope.
Four Ways To Connect With Your Sponsored Child
Receive stories from the field straight to your inbox. Stay up-to-date with the greatest needs around the world as well as how your gifts are making a difference.